Revised design of experiment

I checked the list of papers, and I found that they can be divided into three major categories:

  1. Eye tracking (Little combination on Stroop test, designing for special learning disability and other mechanism-enhanced training, binding practice)
  2. Learning style and Dyslexia (mostly logitudinal research, little linguistic or syntax study. Mostly perspectives are from Special education. The research are quite out of date even the latest still rephrase the old finding about defecits on phonology and classroom helping and sympathy to them. )
  3. Synesthesia and (mostly with some statics with little new findings in them; categorization of types)

So I decided to make bridges to un-gap them .
Here are some with useful guidances and findings. From my practical experience in tutoring the dyslexic children, I found it helpful to teach them abstract syntax so that they would understand the semantic meaning of words do not perfectly matching the syntax requirement. 


I can design a mechanical device and teaching procedure  (mnemonic device on syntax structure - POS and some simple rules on it) to trigger the developmental synesthesia on syntax and other senses. I did find it very helpful for them to gain awareness in syntatic structure.
Then we put these children to the eye tracking machines to see the pattern of their eye movement. (Stroop test, before and after the training. That shall be )

As for learning styles, I am pretty sure it did help when tutoring the children. The older brother is obviously more analytic thinking, while the younger sister is a visual learner. She draws comic girl characters all the time. When I tutored them, I gave them different tasks to complete.
The girl needs more attention and care since she's more psychological dependent (as the youngest of the family)
The boy is

For three months and hours of teaching, they have gained quite some advances in legitimate sentences making.
Their predecessor teachers never make advances like these for over ten years. I had tested the boy's ability in sentence making on learned structures. He's good, showing a real comprehension on rules on each grammar compounds. I was worrying if it was me boosting myself on the effect of teaching, and it turns out a NO.

But I need the eye tracking techs to see the solid evidence on lessen regression and fixation. The POS and mnemonic device might be the reason of improvement on their understanding structures. For the perspectives of "neighborhood size", we know that POSs have certain rules to be serially built.

For example, just give a fake numbers for elaboration:
N initiate POSs have the following types (if you know the HMM, you can make calculation on how fast and efficient it would be to grouping POSs to larger units. )
N + V is 75%  in the copora
N+  adv +V is 23%
N+ adv + adv + V is 2%

Let's do the math:
You can predict that the possibility of succedding POS [V] right after N is far higher generally. You can speed up the reading by checking only the important part of the sentences-that is, the predicates (and the core of them). This would be a chain of multiplication and finally we will know that certain POS combination dominates the whole corpora. (according to the writing style)

We know the structure could be well-embedded, but once the dyslexics students obtain the tricks of segmenting and analyzing, they could do it well. Even for non-analytical learners like the girl, they can still benefit from the tricks. 

Yet, I need evidence. I am not sure if I will find them in the parafoveal processing or regression (looking for missing POS groups). So far, I can do little in designing these. I can only assume we will find difference before and after the training. (Yes, we may need several weeks to do the post-test. So that they would not going back to the old ways of parsing.)
As for the perspective of synesthesia, I think it would be way too hard to initiate it. There might be some other element or critical period reasons. But I did successfully demostrated the linear order of a SVO language - English. The legitimate structure can be correspond to the different layers of plates. Showing hidden ideas on "tense", "perfections",  
 
Sorry I am in great headache, I got fever and my blood pressure soars like rocket. So this is the brief version of experiment design.

留言

Translate